Sunday 1 November 2009

Films: Cloverfield (Empire Top 500 #394)




















Cloverfield
Director: Matt Reeves
Released: 2008
Popcorns: 1.5/5

Revolves around a monster attack in New York, as told from the point of view of a small group of people.

This was the second time I'd watched this film and the first time for Laura.  I was mildly entertained by it the first time around because I watched it in work, when I should have been working.  This time around, Laura wasn't feeling it and watching it on my 42inch screen made me wanna chuck my guts up with all the faux shakey camera work.

The script is awful and the camera man must say the other guy's name about 500 times in the film.  Also, the acting is atrocious.  Some of the set seemed a bit wrong too.  ie. the Statue of Liberty's head.  I swear it's supposed to be bigger than that. Aren't people supposed to be able to get inside the crown part?




The only thing that redeemed this film slightly is the monster design.  I'm a sucker for a monster movie and, although you could tell this was all CGI, they were fun and innovative.



So much more could have been done with this film and I do not think it should be in the top 500 films of all time.  Even more so for the fact that The Blair Witch Project is nowhere to be seen on this list and that film pretty much invented this style of film making.  Crap film. Enough said!

No comments:

Post a Comment